Kees Smit garden furniture closed shops and webshop temporarily after fire in Vroomshoop warehouse
The shops and webshop of Kees Smit Tuinmeubelen in Almelo and Amersfoort will be closed until mid-next week. The webshop can be visited but placing orders is not possible for the time being. It is the result of the fire in Vroomshoop, in one of the warehouses, last Tuesday. The consequences of that fire are greater than expected, the company reports. The consequences for the company are mainly operational, due to the failure of, for example, power and internet in the relevant warehouse. In addition, research into water and smoke damage is still ongoing. This takes more time than expected. Research is also still being conducted into the cause of the fire.
Only right decision
“The fact that we do not want to make promises that we cannot keep to our customers has been the reason for this decision. I can tell you that you don't just do this, especially in high season. Nevertheless, this feels like the only right decision at the moment, ”says managing director Henk Smit. He hopes to understand the customers. "We do not want this to be at the expense of our high customer satisfaction. Customers are too dear to us for that. In addition, we also want to protect our employees and those of our transporter, who are just as dear to us. Only if the quality that customers of We can take orders again. "
Flashback to fire
The fire not only affected Henk Smit for business, but also personally for the fire. The week started festively for the company with the acquisition of a plot at XL Businesspark in Almelo. Construction of the new distribution center will start there this autumn. The revelry was short-lived. "When I was informed about the fire on Tuesday, I jumped directly into the car towards Vroomshoop. The closer I got to Vroomshoop, the bigger and blacker the clouds of smoke became. I didn't know what I was going to find and I was genuinely afraid. Everything goes through your head " Smit was with his employees with his thoughts. "When I got there, I had to wait behind the tape, and I will never forget the moment when I saw the employees outside and I heard that they were all safe. What a relief. A huge burden fell from my shoulders The concerns about material things are really a side issue at such a time. "
Then everything came to Smit. "A lot has to be arranged and in the meantime the awareness is slowly gaining momentum. It feels like an emotional rollercoaster that you are in. At one moment it comes in very hard and you are in the emotion, the other moment you feel a lot of strength to continue to go and have all kinds of ideas on it ” Smit received many reactions after the fire. "The statements of support and the help offered from our family, friends, acquaintances and business relations feel like a warm blanket."
In addition, attention is paid to the employees, says Smit. "Yesterday morning we looked back on the fire with the colleagues involved and shared experiences. An event like this can have a huge impact on a personal level. We therefore asked our employees to pay close attention to themselves and each other and don't feel too big to ask for help."
Hard disks with patient data stolen from UMC Utrecht
UTRECHT - Hard disks containing medical data of some seven hundred patients have been stolen from the University Medical Center Utrecht. The hard drives contain not only medical records, but also social security numbers and names. The hospital informed the patients and the Dutch Data Protection Authority and reported it to the police. The theft happened on April 18, the hospital said today. A total of ten computers were broken open at the outpatient clinic for internal medicine and the outpatient clinic for allergology. The hard disks, processors and memory banks were taken out of the computer cases and taken along. Two computers were emergency computers, which doctors can use if the usual computer systems fail. According to the hospital, the patients' treatments could continue as normal. The data is protected with a username and password. The letter that patients received from the hospital also contained a number that they could call with questions. According to a spokesperson for the hospital, they have done this frequently. He also says that there are no signals that the data has been used.
IKEA customers injured by sink drain cleaner in hand gel bottle
Several customers and an employee were injured at IKEA in Haarlem on Saturday after they thought they had disinfected their hands with hand gel at the entrance. There was a drain unblocker in the bottle. The police and ambulance personnel have been on site. Two people at the department store suffered from their hands and breathing after using the alleged hand gel. The two customers and a company employee were then treated locally by ambulance personnel. "The bottle was refilled by the cleaning lady who does not fully master the Dutch language, and the bottles look alike," said a police spokesman. IKEA says in a response that it still takes stock of how many people have come into contact with the liquid. For the time being, this is known in less than ten cases. "We are very sorry that this has happened. We stand for a safe shopping environment, and this should not have happened." The company says it is in contact with the victims, who are represented by personal injury lawyers JBL & G. "We apologize, of course." The spokesperson does not yet know exactly what the physical consequences of the error are. IKEA calls on everyone who is not yet in the picture and who has come into contact with the liquid to contact it.
Translated from Dutch to English with Google translate